About Perlite

Perlite is an amorphous volcanic glass with a high-water content. We obtain our ore from Cornerstone in Oregon. Unlike other volcanic glasses, when perlite is heated to temperatures of about 900 degrees Celsius, they expand up to 20 times its original size. The rapidly hot temperatures soften the volcanic glass causing the water to be trapped in the rock which then turns into steam and expands the particles. Perlite is made of 2 to 5 percent water and contains a high percentage of silica.

Is Perlite Toxic to Humans?
Perlite is a naturally occurring siliceous rock therefore it is not toxic to humans. According to the Perlite Institute, perlite has been in numerous health studies conducted by governmental and scientific research and has not shown any indicates that perlite poses any health risk.